I’ve been meaning to write this ever since I finished my blue Outlaw, to show a different way of getting some of the details to stand out. I’ve had the photos for some time now, but it wasn’t until I saw Angoleiro’s post about his Outlaw earlier today that I got motivated enough to write it down.

Because, the way we both went about it is quite similar. In the past, when I wanted to paint in the details over a sprayed color coat(s), I was disappointed at how much detail was lost due to the layers of paint.
With the 356, I tried a couple different ways of preserving the details, tape and files/sandpaper. All these photos were taken during the build, so forgive my potato, and my not taking a lot of time to get “perfect” shots.

To preserve the vents on the engine lid, I merely taped over them, painted the car, and removed the tape and cleaned up the bare metal with my needle files. I took a toothpick and dabbed some India ink into the vents and wiped off the excess, and I think it came out pretty well. The black one was a test mule to practice my new technique.
(I did lots of “tests” and do-overs in the making of that car. So, I learned to spray one of my ruined bodies with flat black to try out the next step(s) before trying it on what would be the final product.)
Where Angoleiro and I have similar approaches is in removing paint, instead of painting over the color coat.
I learned early on to tape all around the detail from which I wanted to remove paint. That lesson came the quickest, nothing was more disappointing than ruining a really good color coat by going just a hair too far with a file...those little teeth are sharp! You can see my early scratches on one of my “test mules.” This car has had more paint removed from it than the floor at Earl Scheib’s!

Using a half round needle file, I would slowly rub back and forth over the part I wanted to expose. If you go too fast with the file, you’ll take away detail in the metal that can’t be put back, one of the main differences between painting and filing. If you put too much paint on, you can simply throw it back in the stripper. If you take off too much metal, you reach for another fresh car and throw that in the stripper. The engine vents weren’t taped over on the one shown above, because I was working only on how to do the tail lights right.

Whereas, the vents on these two blue ones are taped up in case one of them turned out to be the final product. When the outlines of the lights had been carefully filed down to bare metal, I used a sharpie pen to draw in the red lenses. The bare metal underneath, gives it more of a shine.

Passenger door handle and the start of doing the hood straps. One area at a time was taped off and filed down to metal. Even with the surrounding areas taped off, by the third or fourth blue one I found it was wise to wrap the car in napkins or tissues because of all the handling it had to endure. (Still, it really wasn’t enough...note to self, for next time...)

Hood straps finished, headlights, and finally the turn signals, all carefully filed.

I always tried to get the tape as close to the actual shape of which ever detail I was trying to bring out. When I finally had a blue painted Outlaw with all the details filed and not looking too bad, I brought out the sharpie pens and did the lights and the hood straps, as seen in the finished Porsche.

Thank you Angoleiro for reminding me that I wanted to post this.