Shake the can, Bake the paint.
I haven’t given up on my experimenting with baking paint in an oven to get better results. I’ve been working on reproducing the high school ride, a ‘66 GTO, of an old friend for a long time now. I’ve gone through quite a few bodies due to loss of detail from sanding and stripping, but I’ve learned a little from each one.
I decided to try baking the paint to see what else I could learn on this custom.

Same paint, same subject. The car on the left has had two coats of Krylon Super Maxx Red. The one on the right has had 3 coats of the same paint, and has been baked in a toaster oven at 100° for an hour after each coat.
If you look at the windshield wipers and vents in these images, you can see how baking the paint really sucks it down into the low spots. (click on an image for the full size image.) On the non-baked car, those details have become filled in after two coats. If I try to get some black down into the vents on the non-baked one, they will all be uneven because of being so filled in. On the baked car, there is more definition left, after three coats to boot.

Advertisement

(Note: The one on the right turned out to have a casting defect when I stripped it, the hood scoop is pushed in, so it has become a test mule for a few rounds.)

Both cars were lightly sanded between coats.This is the non-baked version.

The baked car, in the foreground, has taken on a more satin finish, and is actually a bit darker. My picture taking device* didn’t really capture it well, but it’s darker. I’ll try a lighter shade of red in the next round, to try and have it come out as the proper shade of red that GM used on the ‘66 GTO.
*Calling it a potato anymore is libelous to potatoes, bordering on defamation.

Baked one on bottom, two coats of non-baked on top. There’s a minor flaw just above the front wheel arch on the top one, which will make it a little easier to strip again. Too bad, this is one of my better paint jobs as far as shininess is concerned. Once I get the color-after-baking correct, I will spray it with clear coat to get it to shine. I’ll be spraying the baked one just to see how that will come out, and I’ll post a photo in the comment thread.
(Once it has been baked, stripper is pretty much useless on the paint.)

You can clearly see the difference in detail on the baked car by looking at the wiper and vent area. It’s not as apparent, but the “nostrils” in the hood scoop have also filled in on the non-baked one.
You can also see the sunken hood scoop more clearly, nice QC Mattel...

More as it occurs...