Morgan cars have been in production since 1911 - and pre WWII, their main product where a variety of 3-wheelers, or “Cycle cars” as they were often referred to. The main attraction for these cars was that they were taxed as motor cycles, and were extremely light weight, thus offering very good performance for the money. Weather protection however remained hardly any better than that of a motorcycle.
This one here is a “Super Sport” model from the early 1930s. The engine was a water cooled “Matchless” motor cycle engine - with an interesting arrangement whereby the engine was exposed at the front of the car - and the radiator mounted behind it. The engines were always V-Twins, but the buyer had the choice of air or water cooled varieties - and so it was important that the engines were exposed, as no cooling fans were provided.
The rear wheel was driven via chains, though the official Morgan website notes that the “Super Sport” had the more advanced single chain drive, whereas this model clearly has twin chains. Other “advanced” features of the “Super Sport” were a reverse gear and detachable wheels. No engine output was ever quoted, as the choice of engine was up to the buyer. Anything went, so long as it was a V twin motocycle engine.
The V-Twin models were produced up to 1939. But by then Morgan’s focus had already shifted to the much more modern F-Series three wheelers, which had a Ford side-valve engine installed in standard configuration. And in 1936, Morgan also had introduced their first four wheeler - the aptly named “4-4" - the ancestor of today’s models.
The model shown here is a 1/43 made by the Italian company Brumm.