Here is a Chinese bootleg Hot Wheels. Surprisingly, it’s a very good casting! I would go as far as saying that it’s excellent. However, I am perplexed as to where this casting originally comes from. Perhaps it is not a bootleg but an original created by this company?
As nice as the casting is, I have to say that quality control is lacking and I was unfortunate enough to get one with a tumor on the hood and it is missing the back window piece. As far as I can tell, the creators of this casting meant for it to have a back window and you can see a slot where it is supposed to be. For whatever reason, they decided not to include that piece. Perhaps they got too lazy to mold it into the windshield piece or they did not want to manufacture an additional piece for the rear. From looking around online, it looks like none of these cars have the back window.....but I have a solution for that. More on that later.
I love the scale. It matches great with Hot Wheel’s Fast and Furious cars. I hate Jada cars simply because for whatever reason that company does all their cars in 1:55 scale and I refuse to give them any of my money. Their cars just don’t flow with Hot Wheels or Matchbox. Therefore, I am very pleased to have this Chinese bootleg one.
This car is held together by two screws. That makes it so much easier to work with when doing mods.
At first, I thought that the windshield was all black and there was no interior. What a nice surprise to find that it does have one.
The windshield piece is very dark so it appears almost black when the car is put together
Here you can see the bulge on the hood. I was hoping that it was just a paint defect, but unfortunately it is the metal that was bulging.
Time to strip it down and try my best to sand down that bulge.
The body lines a nice an crisp. Very detailed! Before I had bought it, I was afraid it would be a blob of metal and the body lines wouldn’t be defined.
The bulge in the hood just happened to be located in a non-flat surface. This made it harder for me to sand it down to where it would still retain the body lines of the hood. Luckily, after careful sanding and some use of JB Weld, I got it to look almost perfect.
Time for paint.
I like how they did the fender wells
Unfortunately, I don’t own a spray gun. I used rattle cans instead. The paint job still ended up being pretty nice.
I then did some detailing. I didn’t spend much time on detailing, probably only an hour. Also, I didn’t have a magnifying glass nor good quality pens.....so I’ll probably need to repaint and detail again someday to make it look extra nice. I should probably clear coat it too.
Here is the somewhat finished product.
Need For Speed...meet your Chinese friend, Speed & Furious.
Now as for the missing back window piece my solution is to modify the P1 windshield piece to fit inside the Lykan.
The P1 piece wont fit exactly so I will need to fill in the gaps in the edges and paint the piece black when done.
I’ve cut out both side windows so that you can see the interior.
So there you go folks. Finally a Lykan that blends in well with most other 1:64 cars.
P.S. Needs a wheel swap
By the way...this bear sacrificed himself so I could paint the Lykan