Since Enginerrrrrrrrr has revealed the Martini 917K, I wanted to share some build pics to whoever is interested. So here goes!

First up: Engine deck lid removal.

Thankfully it’s all straight lines, so cutting off the deck lid was pretty easy. Jewelers saw made quick work of it, and it turned out better than my last attempt, I think!

Next came the hinge. Thankfully I had done one before, so it was much easier to do than last time. Top tip: Crimping beads are your friend! I used a large one (#4 in the set from Michaels) and flattened it with pliers to seal in the hinge, and at the same time create a flat surface that was easy to glue to the roof of the car. I covered the long ends of the hinge under the deck lid with super glue to securely hold everything in place.

Advertisement

I tried to maintain spacing and account for where paint and primer would thicken the surface, so I used some paper scraps as spacers between the bodywork and decklid while putting the hinge together.

Advertisement

The little winglets are just pieces of 0.8mm styrene cut to the right shape. I think I made them a tad larger compared to the 1:1, but I wanted to make sure the decals would fit well, and kinda free-handed it based on photos.

Advertisement

Primer and paint came next. The primer was acting kind of weird, hence the rough-ish texture. But I wet-sanded where I could after the primer was on, and hoped the clear coat would take care of the rest.

Decals came from Pattos Place. Super detailed, super easy to use, and super reasonably priced!

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can kind of see the rough texture a little bit here, especially on the decklid...

Advertisement

I have to admit that I basically bought the IXO 1:43 of the same car to use as an example for laying the decals on, and have to say that it was VERY helpful. :D The Tomica 2.7 RS was just there for moral support.

Chassis work! Always super fun. The 917K casting has filled-in areas in between the spaceframe chassis pieces for strength, but I wanted to cut them away to add a litle to the realism. On my last 917K custom I was able to do that, but I guess I got a little overzealous on this one and ended up cutting them off completely. Brass rod to the rescue!

Advertisement

I think it looks kind of cool, though, but it was definitely a big pain to do. If I do another (and I might, after seeing how this one came out), I will definitely do it a little differently, though.

Advertisement

Two sessions of clear, of about 5-6 light coats each, and voila!

Advertisement

Advertisement

It was definitely not easy letting this one go, but it’s in a great home with lots of friends to play with.

Safe travels, friend! It’s hard to tell, but the post office is in the background.