I did my first test of baking paint today, it didn’t go well...
(Disclaimer: I used an old casting that was stripped over a decade ago, I only washed it with Dawn dish soap to remove any oils from my fingers. No sanding, no wire brushing, no primer coat, no anything.)
My toaster oven has a temp dial that goes from “min” to 150°, and then on to higher settings, so I guessed at where 100° was, and baked it for an hour. I’ll try to find a oven thermometer that goes down to 100°, and mark that spot on the dial. (My meat thermometer starts at 130°.)
It came out very weirdly, it’s kinda mottled, if that’s the word. The other word would be potato cam.
It’s almost like an old diecast that’s been sitting at the bottom of a toy box for years, getting knocked around.
With the flash, you can see the strange patterns in the paint. Possibly, I didn’t give it a heavy enough first coat, but I was anxious to give it a try. I sprayed it and put it straight in the oven, wet, and turned it on. I’m going to try letting a car dry overnight and bake it to see the difference if any.
I’m considering spraying this one again and baking it again, just to see what happens.
I intend to try as many different ways with this baking thing. Wet paint, dried paint, dried 48 hours paint, primer coat baked, primer coat with color coat and then baked, etc.
Feel free to suggest other combinations, I’ll be the LaLD test kitchens.
The paint did a good job of adhering to the details in the casting, like the hood outlines, and it’s pretty tough. I tried scratching it with a fingernail, and I dropped it a couple of times to see what would happen, but no chipping, so it’s a start.
If this starts to get tedious (reading about paint drying can certainly be more boring than watching it dry), just let me know and I’ll save it all up for one baked painting article.