This is a follow up to this article I previously posted:
Diecast body in black:
Here is the 1:1 car I was attempting to emulate:
Note the jewels in the rear tail lights
Here is the only picture I had of the engine without the air cleaner.
The first step was dissembling the entire model so I could paint the interior.
I was able to rotate the top of the engine a full 180deg and even find some domes to emulate the oil fill in the head.
Now here is the rear bumper removed from the car:
First I cut the plate off so I could glue it on the body in the proper position. Then I removed those unique rear bumper guards since they were not on the 1:1. When I finally get around to detailing up me red one I’m going to leave them on.
Here is the rear bumper filled and sanded. I can never get thing perfect but I figured it’s the internal rear bumper and is a pretty self contained area.
Here is is painted, not too bad......
I painted the dash red and made stickers for the center hub of the steering wheel, gauges, and clock.
I think the doors turned out really well!!! Note how the sides are black because the car is black:
Here is the interior all finished off. For this model I painted the chrome trim by hand and either masked or touched up. In more recent builds for this step I am now using really thin bare metal foil. For the rear seats the inserts were very narrow for some reason, so I ended up using stickers from another model I had purchased and think it turned out pretty good!
Now the center emblem of the grille was small and the shape didn’t match the grille so I just removed it and printed out one to fill the entire area.
Here is the new one:
Like the post I wrote on detailing grilles, the first step is to paint it gold.
Then the the black wash:
Here are the rear bumper and tail lights, note I added a blue dot to the center.
I hand painted the grilles around the headlights:
Painted over the silver ‘V’ with gold.
Did the same thing for the front fender trim.
Here are the wheels, before and after. You can see I painted all the areas that are supposed to be black. This 1:1 does not have wheel spinners. Note, they were a dealer installed option back in 1957 and involve drilling holes in your hubcaps!
And now it’s assembly time!!!
You can see in this photo, I even painted the headliner as well.
Body drop time:
I think this post has gone on long enough, guess you all will have to wait for the next installment to see how this car turned out........