The Lesney era Matchbox Ferrari Berlinetta from my HAWL was on the bench tonight intending to be just disassembled to go in the striiper.

Instead i ended up using acetone to gently removed the glopped on red & blue paint to expose its original metallic green paint. Then I simply polished the bumpers and detailed it.

I absolutely love how it came out. The chips, bits of remaining red, and thinning of the original paint layer come together to make something i love the look of.

Advertisement

This was what i started with. I think I’m going to have to keep an eye out for other badly painted cars and try doing more sympathetic restorations like this.