The DragScort is pretty much done. There are quite a few things I can think of to add to this custom but a line must be drawn at some stage. I think I’m nearly happy enough with it now. This post is very picture heavy, sorry. ;)
First time I’ve ever put race numbers on a custom. These are obviously hand done as I was trying to mimic the way the temporary numbers are scrawled on drag cars here in certain catorgories.
Ok so the pictures from here down are some of the build pictures.
I started making the chassis for this late last year and can’t find any pictures of the start. So this is where I started off again last week(ish).
After fitting the chassis to the cast I noticed it needed some body work. I used some 1mm thick Aluminium sheet, it’s sold at hardware stores for use in waterproofing roofs and windows in buildings and is called ‘Aluminium flashing’. Comes in a roll and isn’t that expensive.
After marking out where the cuts needed to be I drilled some holes in the corners of the shape. The holes stop the alloy from tearing when you fold it and looks neater when done. I used a box cutter to score along the lines. A steel rule was clamped in the correct position as a guide for the blade.
The shot above is showing the underside, the cuts didn’t go all the way through so I just bent the piece along the lines a couple of times to snap it. Metal fatigue isn’t always the enemy.
The alloy is very easy to fold neatly using a bench vice. This vice is a small portable one I’ve had for years. It’s been used way more in the last 12 months than it ever had been before!
I actually nailed this part first try unlike the roll cage...
I trimmed the side profile after folding to give it some shape and more importantly some clearance for the front wheels.
The floor is a close fit but luckily doesn’t seem to contact the cast as it closes.
Next I decided it needed a front cowl and some kind of steering control. I looked for suitable steering wheels in my cast bone yard but ended up going with a custom made two handled aircraft style setup. Works for me...
* We interrupt this custom for some stock vs custom photo dump *
And now some shots of the casts that donated various body parts for the build.
The chrome part is from the Chevy Astro van. The modifications include repositioning of the engine, removal of the steering column and removal of the section behind the seat. Also some DIY modified chassis rails and a differential housing left over from the Land Cruiser builds.
The Astro van also provided the windscreen which was reshaped for the Escort.
The brake chute is another hand-me-down courtesy of the Astro van. Rear window from a yellow RX-7 was put into use as the rear screen on the drag car, again after reshaping it.
The Real Riders were lifted from an abandoned ‘Just Born’ Hot Tamales Long Gone truck. Handy that it has a spare rear set as the drag strip seems to eat tyres...
Some shots of the underside.
Most of the hand made parts.
Some ‘exploded view’ shots.
And now you have crossed the finish line!
But wait! There’s more!....
Drag strip trial footage below.
Thanks for getting this far!