I’ve been wanting to do a custom AE86 for a while now, and decided today was the day to start. That spur of the moment decision, and the lack of planning that comes with it, may have been more harmful than helpful. At any rate, it’s been an interesting day...
First things first, some pictures of the subject in question. While racing tampos can look great, I’m in search of a more “stock” look.
First, the lone rivet needed to be drilled out. Poor Planning Mistake 1: the cordless drill’s battery was nearly flat. That wouldn’t typically be a problem, however, it appears I have misplaced the charger. I could have used the other drill, a corded Makita, however, it’s a bit too powerful for diecast custom work. Since I didn’t need a big hole through the car, I stuck with the cordless drill. After some time, I was left with this:
I knew the Hachiroku was not staying red. As a result, the paint needed to come off. Poor Planning Mistake 2: I went to the basement and grabbed a leftover can of paint stripper. The stuff was called “Magic Strip”, and existed as a thick paste. In theory, it’s called “Magic” because the paste turns from green to white when the paint is ready to come off. In reality, it “Magically” doesn’t work as well as you would think paint stripper should work. The fact that it had previously been sitting for several years probably didn’t help, either.
After some effort, I ended up with this:
It needs a bit of cleanup yet, but I’ve seen worse prep work at Maaco.
Stay tuned for the next part of this series, published in color...