Spur of the moment customs are usually a lot of fun. This was no exception.
First, a before picture. I’ve had Matchbox since new (~1998). It was a bit playworn, but overall in pretty good shape. I’ve always liked this green.
The biggest change is the “vinyl” top.
Plasti-dip was used for the top. The application process was simple enough. In fact, applying Plasti-dip is much like applying spray paint.
To get the look I was after, I used short, heavier spray movements, making sure the nozzle was ~3-4 inches from the roof of the car (don’t do this if you’re looking for a smooth finish)
One aspect that could be improved are the rough edges on the top. Some areas, such as separating edges and thin sections, can prove to be difficult (it can peel if you’re not careful, or even if you are). However, there is a trick:
Plasti-dip dries into a rubbery material, but it applies more like a liquid (like spray paint). If you remove your masking tape before the Plasti-dip dries, it won’t stick to the tape. This means a cleaner line, and no need for an X-ACTO knife to remove the tape.
I discovered this little trick doing touch-up work on this car, but I’ll be sure to use it in the future.
Otherwise, I just did some detail work (lights, bumpers, etc.)