Big things with little cars
Big things with little cars
This is a platform for User Generated Content. G/O Media assumes no liability for content posted by Kinja users to this platform.

First Attempt At Dye

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

Let me just start off by saying that this did not go how I expected. I’m not sure what I was doing wrong, but I kept harassing Plasticprints all day to try to figure it hahaha (sorry for all the questions man!). During my trial and error, I found a few things out.

  • It needs a lot more than an inch or two of water in the pot the keep the dye the right temp. Fill that thing to the top of the jars.
  • The hotter it gets, the less likely the dye is to absorb. So keeping an eye on the temps is very important.
  • 5-10 minutes was not enough time. At least for the dye I used. On average, I left them in for ~30 minutes at least.
Advertisement

Now, on to the results:

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

Emerald Green really took a long time to sink in to the silver on this car. But it eventually did somewhat, and I like that it didn’t get too saturated, even though that’s what I was hoping for initially.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

Emerald Green again. This one was left in for much shorter of a time. And as you can tell by the white spot on the roof, I apparently stuck this guy in upside down. In person, this green looks almost like a glow-in-the-dark color, which is pretty cool.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

Blegh. Initially dyed in purple, which didn’t do much. Then into the Navy, hoping to get some sort of purple in the end since it was red to start with. The end result was this nasty dark-brownish color. I hate it. This is going into the paint stripper ASAP.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

You can’t really tell it, but this one sat in the red for about 15 minutes. Doesn’t really look like it did anything.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

Another failure. This one went into the purple but come out really light and really blotchy.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

I call this the Mary-Kay Mercedes. Another one that sat in the red for a long time, but had little happen.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

It’s hard to tell in the picture, but this one turned out nicely. My daughter wanted me to make her a pink car, so I got a bottle of Petal Pink and she picked out this Corvette. It looks much more colorful in person.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

One of the transformations I’m most happy with. I threw this one in the Navy Blue and left it for a good 30-45 minutes. I like how this made the erd turn almost black and gave the rest a sort of ghostly look.

Illustration for article titled First Attempt At Dye
Advertisement

As I said earlier, the longer the better. This one wins out of all the ones I did. This one sat in the Navy Blue for well over an hour, and I must say it looks quite striking. Just needs to minor detail work and a wheelswap and it’ll be perfect.

So that’s how my first experience with the dye went. I’ll find some more cars and try some more variations on techniques and see what happens. Until then, anyone who’s already done this and had better results, please let me know what I’m doing wrong!

Share This Story

Get our newsletter