My drill battery was charged when I got home from work, time to spend the evening in the garage disassembling trucks!

Step one was taking a 1/16, then a 3/32 drill bit to the rivets. I haven’t done the black truck yet but I might just skip to a larger 1/8 bit now that I know I just need to drill the tops off to separate the body.

For step 2 I carefully pried the front bumper off. It was just glued into place.

Advertisement

A little prying on the body, which ALSO had some glue holding it onto the chassis, and the two parts came.... apart.

Upon taking the interior out, I noticed that while accurate and nicely detailed (but barely seen) it is ALL black. My truck is a mixture of black, with grey (seats and dash trim) and beige (pillars and headliner). I may have to CAREFULLY paint it.

Advertisement

I also noticed the side windows are separate from the fronts. Great, MORE rivets to drill out!

Advertisement

And done. Also note that the grille and HOOD are also separate riveted parts. I assume this was done on purpose, as GL also has a 2500 Heavy Duty version of this truck, and like the real thing the body differences are the hood and grille. Hrm.

For the last step last evening I took my knife to the backs of the headlight pegs, and carefully removed them. Not sure if the paint is on the body or the lights of the black truck, but just to be sure, I put them in the back seat for safe keeping so I have two sets.

Advertisement

Other little details I took care of were removing some extra flashing between the spokes of the chrome wheels, removal of the rear bumper to possibly trim the tail pipes off, and masking off the RAM 1500 logo so I can practice removing the HEMI tampo without messing it up.