I’ve made some decent progress on my Group 44/Bob Tullius Triumph TR6 project so I thought I’d share.
I know, I know this isn’t one of my sliding USB projects. I have one of those coming, I’m rethinking how I did the base seeing as the prototypes didn’t hold up to real world use like I had hoped.
As you can probably tell from my profile name, I a big fan of Bob Tullius’ racing team Group 44. I have fond memories of watching them compete in the IMSA GTP class at Mid-Ohio with my parents and I’ve seen several of their other cars, as well as tribute cars, at car shows and vintage races throughout the years.
When one of my Golden Doodles ripped open a mystery car package I neglectfully left out, I was at least glad she chose the Triumph. The damage was fairly minor with just a couple of spots where the metal was very lightly gouged.
This car is a great base to start with. The casting is nicely detailed and there are no windows to get in the way.
The first issue was that The Group 44 car is left hand drive. Luckily I had a spare interior from a previous Hot Wheels Acura NSX flash drive project!
I began cutting, gluing, and repainting the interior flat black.
It didn’t turn out too badly after some more sanding was done. Once it’s in the car it’s harder to see the imperfections.
Then it was the body’s turn for paint! After media blasting, I used a semi-gloss white for the base.
Thanks to phillipillihp’s suggestion I found the perfect donor for the wheels, the Hot Wheels heritage BMW 2002.
The wheels have been painted green and some of the other details are coming together. Now I just need decals!