I have been hanging around here like a bad smell for about a month. In that time I’ve had so much fun sharing the cars I have in my collection and my sons collection. (Which is currently growing steadily, he is only 2yrs 5mths old and for as long as he could use his hands he’s reached for anything with wheels or mechanical in some way.)

But mostly I’ve enjoyed seeing so many new to me cars from all contributors and talking to some great people on here. Just the amount of knowledge I’m picking up (slowly) is a real eye opener for me. As some may know I have a collection from many years ago and had stopped collecting for various reasons over 15 years ago. The amount of content on here is amazing for such a new sub-blog and is like nothing else I’ve seen before with such great interaction between everyone. Reading the comments has been entertaining and informative.

Anyway one of the things I’ve wanted to do after spending time here and seeing some cool mods posted is attempt a mod myself. Some may remember my post on my sons mini haul a few days back. I now owe him a 510 wagon. For some reason I decided to attack that tonight and this is what I did.

First rivet drill out. I was careful not to get the metal hot and melt the plastic surrounding the rivet post.

Advertisement

Exploded view above^ (Yes I’m an idiot)

Advertisement

Ok, those mirrors weren’t really fitted to these cars locally back in the day so they have to go.

Gone.

Advertisement

Little tiny files for a little tiny job.

Come up pretty straight and smooth off the file. I had to file out the hood lines as the mirrors burred over into it a little.

Advertisement

All masked up. Only had brown packing tape, it works ok if you remove it as soon as you can, leave it on too long and I think it will be very hard to get off.

Advertisement

Blurry Blair Witch photos.

Cool, back together for an eye ball. Hmmm, needs more repairs.

Advertisement

I managed to get nice crisp lines using that tape so I might use it again if I do more mods.

Ok, more details required. Yes the paint looks a little rough on the hood. May redo it, probably won’t.

Advertisement

The sill on this side needed some rust repair and the flare was needing some minor repairs.

Advertisement

The rear quarter panel was made* to look rough to resemble a rough bondo job on a panel that will probably be needing more repairs after the next Drift comp. (*that’s my excuse at least :))

Advertisement

Advertisement

The headlights looked friggin awesome for about 45 seconds until the paint globs I just applied couldn’t over come the force of gravity and decided too bleed out a little. I’ll revisit those another day.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Thanks for looking.