Catch-up time, I started a new project, and because I was technically snowed in last Saturday and Sunday, I had a lot of time to work on it. Above is the base painted in ‘pavement’ color, which is a lot darker that the grey I mixed for the other project.
Patience is a virtue for dry brushing, I cannot express that enough. As you can see below, half of it is dry brushed to show the difference. As MrsZtp noted, “it looks dirty”. I lost time when doing this, it might of been half an hour or 20 minutes. I used a synthetic bristle brush that was less than half an inch wide. I read an organic bristle brush was better, but I was working with what I had.
After my initial dry brush layer, I went and applied another layer where I saw fit. If it’s not obvious, I applied too much pressure in some places, so I did my best to make it look uniform. I spent an least a hour doing this.
I cannot refind my source that told me how to dry brush ( I found a few good ones), so I’ll try to reiterate it the best I can.
Dip your brush just barely into the paint, you just want the tip in the paint. Next, I used cardboard and made a few “X” patterns to remove the excess paint, I averaged about four X’s per dip. Then, and this is important, I painted around my knuckles. Think about it, dry brushing allows you to show the contrast of something, like how parts of the spackled base is raised or lowered. Naturally, your hand has grooves as well, so you gently apply the paint to make sure it’s just the right amount and not to much.
It started off tedious and boring, but I actually started enjoying it after a bit. These pics don’t do it justice, as it makes it look dirty. In RL, it looks much better.
Here’s a 1:24 car for reference size.
Well, that is as far as I got. For some reason we don’t own a compass, so I can’t make any parking spots yet. So far, I think my attempt at dry brushing turned out pretty good, :).