I’ve taken apart a few diecast before simply because they have screw-on bases but that’s it. So now that my power drill runs again with the arrival of a new battery, I finally got the chance to drill out some rivets!

My first one was a Ford Focus RS (my uncle had the 1:1) that I previously detampo’d but the still came out sloppy so I’m taking it apart to redo. The drilling came out a bit sloppy to since it was my first time (noticeable on the rear of the plastic base and slightly through the bottom of the interior).

I was consulting with Doctor Suarez throughout the surgery and since I noted I wasn’t going to screw them back together, he just suggested to shave off the mushroom cap part of the rivet. So I gave it a try on this playworn Saleen S7 I bought for $0.50. All I did was use a larger drill bit and gently shaved the top off.

Advertisement

It came out a lot cleaner. I’m sticking them back together with putty anyways. But whoever played with this got a lot of nasty gunk in there. After some cleaning with some soap and electric toothbrush (not used for brushing teeth), the interior and windows came out clean too.

Advertisement

And there’s my first two unriveted diecasts! So far the metal bodies have sat overnight in some 100% acetone nail polish remove but it’s barely even making a dent on the tampos. Time to get something stronger at the store.

Also tried taping down a sequin to drill a hole. It does not work. The sequin comes loose and spins with the drill bit. So I’ll scrap this for now and will have to try a hole punch.

Advertisement

I want to add some brakes on my Kyoshos and can now just drill out the rivets but I’m lacking something compared to this gentleman right here:

Also went to an auto show and saw some neat things, plus picked up some diecasts while buying nail polish remover yesterday. Will share those when I get the chance.

Advertisement

20 minute later update: never mind, the acetone works. It’s just slow.