It’s been too long LaLDers, and I thank you for still being even remotely interested in this build.

I will say I hit a bit of a modelers block, but not really my problem, more so I don’t have any more sufficiant photos and specs to move on, so I’ve contacted the Revs Institute, and hopefully I can get the necessary resources, or even take a trip down there and photograph it.

With that said, let’s pick up where I last left off. Essentially I was trying to find a way to use the MkII’s spare tire, but it’s just too big to use, so I decided to open up my Shelby Collectibles MkIV just to see if the quality was any better, and it is, leaps and bounds better. The spare is perfect, the engine is facing the right way, the dash is exactly what the MkIIB is using.

Advertisement

Now I have to make a choice, do I sacrifice this car for the good of the build? Do I buy another one? Maybe SC is willing to give up some parts? I’m not sure yet, because a good portion of this car could just drop right in. Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.

Advertisement

So let’s set that aside, and check out some actual progress. Now there is only one fuel filler on the MkIIB, so I decided to use something a little stronger then JB Weld/Tamiya putty, Rosin core solder.

I roughed up the area, and although it was a pain to get it to adhere, it was solid enough for me to do a scraping method to smooth it out, followed by some light sanding, then any crevises filled with putty, and it came out better then I expected.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Next I wanted to work on the rear clamshell. I t’s pretty easy since I was able to use the original trim and meshed glass, and all they did was remove everythi g to fit the spare and trunk, so I only needed to trim it and reglue it, and file away any excess casting.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Now I want to build the tubular frame in the back that housed the spare tire and trunk, so I need to cut away the existing plastic in the back, and I even bought brass rod to make it, but I’m not going to get carried away until I have the photos needed, but I still wanted to make an impact, so I began cutting into the left hand tail so the tire could stick out, and then, using the MkIV spare as a reference, cut away the opening, and temporarily sat the tire in it. It’s perfect.

Advertisement

So that’s about all I can do for now, and it’s a bit of a downer since a lot of progress has been made, but I know I haven’t gone far enough yet, but as soon as I get my answer on the resources I need, I’ll post it. Thanks for hanging in there!