Big things with little cars
Big things with little cars
Illustration for article titled Project Progress and a How-to

Remember that dismantled Ferrari F40? Well, it’s still dismantled, but as you can see, it has a new coat of paint. Not much has happened in a while as life has been in the way. I finally got back to Pep Boys to buy more paint so I could do the mirrors that I forgot to do, but I picked up the wrong color. I replaced that today, but instead of painting the mirrors, I decided I wanted to address another problem.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Project Progress and a How-to

I’ve complained about orange peel on my models before, but they ain’t got nothin’ on this. But thank’s to You Tube, this can be rather easily resolved.

Advertisement

There are multiple reasons for orange peel; in my case it’s probably down to improper technique. The way to remove it is to get rid of the high and low areas in the paint so that it’s uniformly flat. So my first step was to wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper. In the pic below, you can see the low areas as they didn’t get sanded.

Illustration for article titled Project Progress and a How-to
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Project Progress and a How-to

One more pass, and it’s more uniform.

800 grit
800 grit
Advertisement

Next step was to wet sand with 2000 grit paper. You can see a tiny bit more sheen than the above pic.

2000 grit
2000 grit
Advertisement

Now we go to 5000 grit. I would have liked to have another step between the 2k and the 5k, but sometimes you gotta work with what you have.

5000 grit
5000 grit
Advertisement

2 steps in one for the next pic. I polished the hood with some Mothers Pure Polish, and then followed up with their Micro Polishing Glaze.

Ta da! Shiny paint!
Ta da! Shiny paint!
Advertisement

It’s not perfect, but compared to the “before” pic up top, you can actually tell it’s a house in the reflection.

Illustration for article titled Project Progress and a How-to
Advertisement

It didn’t all go to plan though. In trying to get into the hood creases, I think I rubbed too hard with the 800 grit, and I managed to take off some paint on the lower sides of the hood. Since I have a whole can of paint now, I’ll probably just strip it and start over. I’ll probably get some 1000 or 1500 grit paper and use that for my initial sand instead of the 800.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter