As some of you already know, I’m making a shelf diorama for my 1/24 cars. Haven’t mentioned it much because I scrapped the original plan to make this as cheaply as possible. Hooray for being poor! I’m not done, but I’ve made great headway.
What you see here is plaster cloth on top of white poster board. I laid plaster cloth across it to make a more natural and streamlined surface for the ground foam when I apply it later; which I’m making from scratch btw, so that’ll be an interesting adventure.
Here is the plaster cloth dried after 24+ hours. The nice thing about plaster cloth is that it also helped me to smooth out some rough edges.
My first issue with applying dirt was ‘how’. I then realized my wife gave me this spice shaker for some reason, so I filled it with dirt and it worked beautifully.
The glue I used was mod podge, which takes 30 minutes to dry. I worked in sections (you’ll see this more later) because I didn’t want dirt on the glue brush.
This is the second section done.
The third section completed.
Here is what it looks like now. I had too much dirt on it, so I had to take off the excess (you can see a pot in the tub with the excess in it). You can definitively see where I started and ended each section. Not bad for a first attempt. My next job will be to fill in the gaps between the sections. But it's coming along nicely, :).